Sunday, May 20, 2007

New Moon Colors - Part One

'Fourth of July' Rose...I am intrigued by the intricate colors and textures of flowers at close range...Part two of New Moon Colors to feature an awesome flower show...
Granny Smith Apple...When ripe, it is green with a slight blush. The baby applettes, as you can see, are a vivid red...
The Amazing Purple Crabapple...

"Wealthy" Apple...This tree is bearing for the first year...
Hummingbird...They have been having a great time competing for the fire poker...hummingbirds are very difficult to photograph...!...
Black Locust...This tree is one of three, that Will and I planted from seed many years ago. The largest is over 20' tall. They are a very sweet shade tree, with delicate pea like blossoms.
Danjou Pear....
Canines...Taking time to frolic in the clover...
Awesome Vista to the East...Sunset...
Geum...this is a wonderful homestead flower. A drought tolerant perennial that is easy to grow from seed and may reseed some on their own. They are an old variety of bloom, and I rarely see them in the nurseries.


Busy Bee...working on the blackberries...This is some non-native variety, I have no clue. They showed up with a shipment from back east and I have been cursing there prolific nature ever since. This is the first year I am allowing some to fruit. We'll see. It is a variety much different than the Himalayan blackberry (also non-native) that now threatens to take over this county.
This is a Cicada...The little buzzing bugs that sing when the weather is hot. It makes a sort of chirping sound.

I am amazed at the beauty around me right now. Such abundunt fertility and goodness. The diverse variety of native and introduced species are such a gift to me. The weekend was cool and cloudy. I began to string the wire for the vineyard and planted most of the annuals I will have this year; GIANT pumpkins (i love them) , sweetmeat winter squash, and of course summer squash and cucumbers. I have sunflowers to put out and some more butterfly/hummingbird flower seed to scatter. Everything is very dry. The grapes I put out this winter were all wilting! I did a lot of catch up irrigating today, and suckered in the vineyard. (This involves removing all shoots below your 'wire') This evening- a drizzle! (Doesn't count though -still watering!)

No comments: